Wednesday, June 20, 2012

C4T 2

Facts


Post 1: Dr. Strange’s post was about how he believes that learning facts is irrelevant.  He thinks that knowing when the Civil War began is not as important as wanting to get the answer, knowing how to gather information and evidence to answer a question, knowing how to sort through the evidence, and clarifying the question.  He mentioned that he believes that we should probably not even be tested for our knowledge of facts.

Comment 1: I commented by telling him two different types of teaches that I’ve had.  Ones who pretty much just made us memorize facts and ones who taught skills and made us apply them to get the answer to questions.  I learned more from the teachers who didn’t focus on us learning facts.  I ended my comment by clarifying that, while I believe skills are more important for students in the long run, some facts are necessary to know and learn.     


Post 2: Dr. Strange’s post was about how so many students in one of his previous classes didn’t understand the sarcasm in Dr. McLeod’s post “Don’t Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?  He then went on to give the definitions of sarcasm and satire.

Comment 2: I responded by saying that I read Dr. McLeod’s post.  I didn’t understand how so many students at a college level couldn’t understand the sarcasm.  I went on to say that my only explaination was that the students didn’t really read the post.   

1 comment:

  1. I haven't counted yet, but a lot missed Dr. McLeod's satire this week.

    ReplyDelete