Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Blog Post 4

children recording script



First graders learning the skills to create their own read-along audiobook is quite impressive.  This blog mentions that they were even able to experiment with pitches, emotions, volumes, etc. while reading the script.  This just goes to show you that even at a young age students are eager to learn, especially if you make it interesting.  After the finished project, the students were so excited to read their book and follow along. 

I think that this read-along audiobook is a great way to grasp the attention of your students and encourage them to learn new skills.  Also, it helps them produce work that they are proud of.    


This video really highlights how podcasting can be useful in the classroom.  I have never done a podcast before, but my EDM 310 class is going to require me to do so.  Students using the skills needed for podcasting at such a young age will make it second nature to them.  They will know how to pull up the videos their teachers post, as well as post up their own videos.  This will keep them learning outside of the classroom and use skills higher on Bloom’s Taxonomy. 

Not being very familiar with podcasting I would probably not have been very willing to use it in my classroom once I’m a teacher.  This vide has made some valid points about podcasting.  It also makes it seem easy to do.  I think that it is important to incorporate higher levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy into your classroom and podcasting is a way.  Also, I find it helpful for teachers to post up podcasts so students can keep up from home if they are sick or out for an extended period of time.


This site was very helpful.  She explained exactly what a podcast was and how to create one.  She also put up some great links showing exactly how to make a podcast.  There were even examples of podcast topics and a link explaining the benefits.  I will certainly refer back to this page whenever necessary, while still in school and especially once I’m a teacher.    

As I have mentioned before, I have never done a podcast.  However, I can definitely see the advantages of incorporating them into your classroom.  Podcasting seems to make things exciting and from what I can see students enjoy creating them and revealing them.  I’m excited to do my first podcast for EDM 310.  This class is getting me prepared to do all of the things that I want to do with my students one day.    

3 comments:

  1. Hey Emily,
    Great Blog, we both agree that podcasting will help students learn so much about technology. I too had no idea what podcasting was, till EDM310. I would have never thought to use it in my classroom either. I also liked that we both think our students will enjoy seeing their hard work on the internet. A great tool of podcasting I saw was that if a student is out sick they will have the lecture and homework/classwork online at their disposal. Great job I really enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,

    This is a good post. I am sure your podcast will turn out great! I found a few spelling errors in this post so just be sure to reread your blog assignments before posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily,
    I throughly enjoyed your blog post! I agree with you that podcasting would be a great way to use technology in the classroom. I agree with you that it is very important to keep our students engaged and by us learning techniques like podcasting will do just that! Great job on your blog post and I am looking forward to working with you in our group this semester!

    ReplyDelete