Thursday, June 21, 2012

Blog Post 7


This is a very interesting idea.  It sounds a lot like EDM 310.  I enjoy this class and have learned a lot.  However, I’m not sure how it would be if I had more than one class like this.  I understand that technology has come a long way and we all need to know how to use it, but I like physically being in the classroom too.
Networked students are definitely challenged and required to use higher levels of thinking, which is a good thing.  They are also rewarded by seeing and sharing their finished products online.  I can see how a student might find being networked overwhelming because there is so much that needs to be done.  However, they will end up learning so much.  They won’t be memorizing something spoon fed to them; they will be learning skills that will help them for life.     

This video addresses the fact that even though networked students are doing a lot on their own, teachers are still needed to guide them and teach them the skills they need.  It is also the teachers’ duty to get their networked students familiar and comfortable with the internet. 
Networked classes are going to become more and more common.  With technology constantly changing, students are going to need to understand how to use it.  I can see how it might be quite difficult to be a networked teacher, but I’m willing to do whatever is necessary to better my future students’ education and get them thinking on a higher level.


I can’t believe that a 7th grader is capable of doing all of this.  I think back to when I was in 7th grade and I barely got on the internet besides using AIM.  I feel that it is important for students to be organized and comfortable on the internet.  The younger they start getting acquainted with the internet and technology, the better they will be prepared for the “real world”. 

My PLN is coming along, but still a work in progress.   I’m trying to keep mine organized, just as this girl’s was.  I have also started using Symbaloo, which I noticed she was using as well.  My PLN is quite similar to her PLE.  I hope to keep it up and get it more and more organized. 

picture of a Symbaloo home page

Thomas Suarez: A 12-year-old app developer


I can't believe that this is a 12-year-old kid.  He has already made several apps.  He also has formed a club at school to allow other students to learn how to design apps.  I think it was funny when Thomas said that students were better with technology than the teachers.  This is so true; students are capable of a lot when it comes to technology.  It is impressive that even at such a young age he wants to share his knowledge with others and has goals that he wants to accomplish in the future.      

2 comments:

  1. You did not include the special assignment. It's late, but you have permission to add the special assignment to the end of this blog post. Everything else is good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think the video, Networked Students is a lot like our EDM310 class. I think this video does a great job in showing how a teacher can be useful in the classroom with technology advancing. Thomas Suarez is a bright kid. I like how Thomas wanted to know how to make apps, and took the initiative to find out how to do it. This kid is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete