Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Blog Post 6

Randy Pausch during his Last Lecture



Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture was very inspirational for me to watch.  The hour that it took to watch flew by and my attention was grasped the entire time.  He was very positive and motivating.  If you have not watched his Last Lecture yet, then I encourage that you do so. 

He begins with addressing that he has multiple tumors on his liver and has only been given a few months to live.  With that being said, you would think that he would be depressing or unmotivated.  However, he was stayed positive and had a great sense of humor.  He really wanted to encourage everyone to achieve their childhood dreams.  He showed the list of his childhood dreams and explained how he was able to achieve all of them throughout his short life.  He explained that there will always be “brick walls” in the way of achieving your goals, but those are just there for us to prove how badly we want something.  These “brick walls” keep out those who don’t want something badly enough.  Randy Pausch is an inspiration.  He never gave up and was able to make all of his dreams come true.  Though he had many “brick walls” along the way, he accomplished all of his dreams.  He should inspire everyone to make their dreams come true and to never give up.       

Randy Pausch had some great teaching methods.  He really shows how to be a good and effective educator.  I think that all teachers should model after him.  I like the idea of never setting a bar on what you expect out of your students.  As, I saw from this video he told his students that he knew they could do better (even though he was extremely impressed with their work).  They kept trying harder and harder and created some truly magnificent work, which he shared at the lecture.  One thing that makes him such an effective educator is the fact that he is always having fun and enjoys what he is doing.  He added a little humor when he said that everyone needs to decide if they are a Tigger or an Eeyore.  This is very true if someone is trying to educate others and seems miserable, the message won’t be conveyed properly.  Always have fun!

I have learned a lot from watching Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture.  I feel that I will be a better educator if I use him as a guide.  I believe that this is a lecture that everyone needs to watch at some point in their lives, especially educators.       

2 comments:

  1. Hey Emily! I was really inspired by Randy Pausch's Last Lecture too! I love how he shared so much information and how to overcome your fears or "brick walls." I would have added a little bit more about how you felt about it and how you could use his techniques in your classroom. I got the chills when I watched it and was amazed at how motivated he was to get his points across. Maybe you could post some of his quotes in your classroom when you start teaching. I will definitely have a few up for my students! Your post was very well written! Great job!
    Courtney Blackmon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,

    Good job on this post. Randy Pausch was such an amazing man and should be an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete