Saturday, June 16, 2012

Blog Post 5

The iSchool Initiative



Travis Allen has some very interesting ideas.  He wants to completely do away with books, notebooks, pens, pencils, and other school supplies.  He believes that having an iTouch, alone, will make up for all other school supplies.  There are so many apps that exist that make this very possible.  Travis Allen believes schools are capable of going completely green. 

My reaction to this video was shock because his idea really is possible.  I think he makes valid points with his argument and an iTouch could replace a lot of school supplies and books.  However, I find a little fault in his idea.  It might be a little difficult to take notes using the touch screen provided.  Also, I find it frustrating to read a large quantity of text on such a small screen.  All in all, I think Travis Allen’s idea is quite possible.  Even if an iTouch doesn’t replace every single thing in the classroom, it could still be very useful and make up for a lot. 



This video was absolutely incredible.  These people were all singing together and they have never even met.  The internet opens up so many possibilities for us.  We are capable of chatting with others around the world, and now people around the world can even sing in a choir. 

This virtual choir was amazing to hear.  It sounded beautiful.  I honestly can’t believe it was all done through the internet.  Technology has come a long way and it just keeps improving.    


Teaching in the 21st century means incorporating internet usage and other technology into the classroom.  It also means teaching skills for a higher level of thinking.  Many people believe everything they see on the internet.  This is something that teachers need to address.  Teachers shouldn’t teach facts to be memorized, but rather skills.  If students can learn to form their own opinions based on what they read on the internet, then a teacher has already accomplished a lot.

I think that this video is very true.  Memorizing facts isn’t learning.  Learning new skills and technology usage will be much more likely to benefit students in the future.  When I’m a teacher I want to be able to give my students a research assignment and have them find reliable sources on the internet.  They need to learn how to use the internet for their own benefit, not in a destructive manor.

Flipped Classroom


After watching this video, I thought that this seemed like a great idea. Ever since elementary school and sometimes even now, when I’m in a class that requires note taking, I get nothing out of it.  I get so focused on writing notes that I barely listen to the teacher.  I would always go home and try and reteach the material to myself.  This flipped classroom idea seems to be a solution for this situation and situations similar.  Now students can watch the videos of their teachers as many times as they need.  If they are like me and like to take notes, they can watch it once and take notes and then watch it again and listen.  This idea seems beneficial for many reasons.  Students can learn on their own speed.  Also, classroom time would be better spent.    

I think this is a great idea that would be useful in any classroom.  Now that I’m in college, I think I’ve had one class that did something like this.  It really helped me a lot.  I know that it would also be helpful in the elementary grades as well.  This is something that I would like to try and do for my class when I’m teaching.     

picture of a classroom flipped upside down

   
    

3 comments:

  1. I have a major problem with the flipped classroom concept. While it sounds good (and is probably how you are learning in most of your college classes) it doesn't work so well in the K-12 system. Simply put, it requires homework.

    Remember how busy you were in HS with all the after school activities. Imagine the requirement to do most of the learning you need for the curriculum to be done outside of school.

    Personally, I believe that if we can't teach the curriculum we are supposed to in the time we have we need to do something that doesn't steal time away from the students life outside of school.

    BTW thanks for joining the conversation on Saturday. You are very brave to do jump in like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    I agree with you that Travis Allen's ideas about the iSchool are interesting. I also had the same ideas as you that it would be very difficult to take notes on with it having such a tiny screen. I think that his idea is nice in theory but I have a hard time seeing it come to complete fruition as laid out in his presentation. I do commend him for his out of the box thinking, however.
    As far as your comments on the 21st century classroom presentation, I do agree that learning skills and being able to apply them while learning is very important. I would add a caution, however. I think that technology should enhance instruction not be the instruction. Does that make sense? Like, a healthy balance of facts, application, and skills enhanced through the use of technology.
    I really liked the flipped classroom as well in theory. However, I am cautious to use it with too young of a grade due to them lacking the skills to learn on their own. I think this is a technique that would have to worked up to. One thing is for sure--parents would definitely have to be involved in their child's education seeing that most of the instruction would be taking place within the home over the internet.
    Just a note to help you out. I noticed that your links were just links instead of in the format that Dr. Strange wants for this class. I am a step by step learner and usually require someone doing it first while I watch but maybe this will help you.

    1. When composing your post, make sure you are typing in the text box under the html tab.
    2. Copy the link like you have been doing, but instead of posting it into where you are typing, click the link icon and a box will pop up where you can paste it. (Make sure you don't have "http:" twice because that's what I kept doing by accident)

    3. Now you should see a bunch of html code where you were typing. In the code you will find a part that looks like this "> < / a >" between the two arrows pointing at each other is where you type what you want us to see to click on to get to the link. So for example on the iSchool video you would type iSchool Initiative or something like that between the two arrows.

    4. So instead of reading like this: http://www.youtube.comwatch?v=68KgAcx_9jU
    It would look like this:
    iSchool Initiative

    Hope this helps! If you need me to walk you through it to help you out I understand and wouldn't mind. Just email me and let me know.

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,

    Travis Allen's iSchool Initiative idea was imagined before iPads were created. Therefore, I think he would recommend that students have these instead of iPod Touches now that the technology is available. Good job on this post.

    ReplyDelete